Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tylers appointment with destiny

One of my first recomendations on this blog was Tyler Technologies (TYL). This has by far been my worst investment. I was way early shorting it and my position was too large so I covered half at a loss and still hold the other half, about 9 months later, with a portfolio position of 10%. But somehow I manage to be still optimitic about this "trade". And even more than that, I suspect Tyler might be a good proxy for the market as a whole. I also could be delusional.

So what has happened? Tyler had a huge blow off top, but a slow moving one:


In close up we can see the slow motion of the top formation:


So whats going on? I believe two things. First, a blow off top will usually move at the same speed down as it moved up. Tyler wasn't in a hurry on the way up. Second, a blow of top tend to creep down at least 6/10s of the top formation. Something like this:

Sometimes it goes all the way below the base but not always. 6/10s of the top formation is a common pattern. It could of course have a counter rally on the way there but still this is a level I suspect it will end up in before it turns. Now what is it going to take to get there? I don't think it's going to get there by itself. It would be far easier with some support from a sluggish general market. So if Tyler is going to fulfill its destiny, set by yours truly, then the market would have to become more bearish. Lets see what happens!







No comments:

Post a Comment